Kitchen appliance doors...

I was asked if I could sort out some appliance doors for a kitchen that is near completion, so off I go thinking that it would just be a case of cutting out a couple of 35mm, 14.5 mm deep holes. But after a couple of minutes, and re-checking the measurements I found that it wasn't that simple.

This is a quality kitchen, quite a big one, from a reputable, well known national store. But the problem here is, the fixings on the front of their machine, don't line up with the hole positions on the backs of the doors.
This should not be acceptable, that someone in that company has changed the supplier of the appliances and not checked the door hinges would line up, or vice versa, or just not bothered about this fact...I'm disappointed that a large company has done this..

For me, the job has to be done...

So, the choices are,
  1. Drill new holes into the front of the machine, and use self tapping screws. Quite a quick job to do, It could be done in half and hour...or
  2. Cut new holes into the backs of the doors.
So if I do the first one, I might hit a wire inside with the drill and ruin the machine, but also, if there were to be a problem with the machine in the future, the holes in the front might make the warranty void, I don't think the customer would like that one. I know that I would not be happy with that.
Then the other problem, there are two doors to do, four hinges, out of these four hinges, only one is a complete new hole, with fixing points into the door. The other three hinges are part way through the other holes, so I can only get one screw into each hinge, this is just getting worse, so I measure everything up, double check that I have measured everything right, I even hold each door up to the appliance to 'sense' check that everything will be 'spot on'. I pack the doors and come back to the house.

The plan now, is to fill the three holes, then mark out and cut the new holes



so, the bottom screw would be in thin air...



this one completely misses the old position..



If there had been some offcuts or spare door I would have used that for filling in..
so, this is all I have to work with..



here are the infills, routed out..



With my trusty old MOF 96, I removed most of the waste,
then carefully worked to the scribed line..



Here I've chiseled out some of the side wall of the hole,
this will provide a key for the Epoxy later...

I used a good quality Epoxy adhesive, lined the hole and gently pushed the infill into position.
After an hour or so, they were secure enough for me to continue..




after checking that the hinge is a snug fit and giving the door a good clean
I ran some white wax into the joint.

Now they are sitting in the hallway, ready for the call to go and fit them..

happy days...

 

Comments

Popular Posts