Friday 4 May 2012

Mitre plane continued and more bricks..

The plane is going really well. I only got a couple of hours on it yesterday due to finishing a trade counter off for my brother Stuart.

Stuart had used some new kitchen units to form the base of his trade counter. I think this is a great idea, and well done too. The only thing was that he had left the awkward corner unit until last, and the set up wasn't quite right, so the base part had to be scribed to fit. I had already made some corner posts from
3" x 3" grooved to take the 4mm laminated glass and they fitted pretty good. In all it went well and looks great, well done Stu. and thanks..







Back to the plane. I marked the dovetails from the body sitting in the correct position on the base, I just transferred them over. I checked and checked again that they were all in the right place before starting to cut the tails out of the gauge plate.




Plenty of instruction marked onto the base..




Great picture, as you can see the dovetails were cut by hand, all good fun..



Here is the front piece in place
You can just see where the brass is filed away to create the double dovetail




The final dry fit, and a small list of jobs to do before the peening starts


  1. Check all of the filed dovetails, are they all at the correct angle?
  2. The bed for the blade, ensure correct and works?
  3. Check the width between the dovetails on the base.
  4. Key up the tails, so they grip each other when the peening is done
  5. Stamp plane number on the front 81, I'll explain this later, unless you can guess...

and so on..



So here she is, lots of peening done..
and I'm finding my feet again with this, some peening then some filing,
peening then filing and again.




and the bottom.

Next, the infills, Rosewood..?



thanks for looking

All the best

Jamie


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jamie:

I have been following yor blog from inception. It's interesting to see construction techniques from other places. I think the apple would make an interesting infill. not as dense as other infill materials but in this small plane it may not have as much affect on performance and it may look similar to boxwood over time.

George.

Kevin Brehon said...

This is great to see, I hope to do similar work myself someday. Looking forward to see what you use for the infill.

Jamie said...

Hi George,

Thanks for the input, I do welcome it. I've been through the shed and can only find one piece of the Apple at the moment, so that's out. I did find some Damson, a great friut tree with the most beautiful purples and browns, taken from my moms cottage garden twenty years ago. But, the winner was a piece of Boxwood. I got it from Sandown Park in 1992 at the same time as I won Bronze medal for a piece of furniture that is'nt on here yet as it's in storage, but it's a great piece. I'll show it on my next posting.

thank you

all the best

Jamie

Jamie said...

Hi Kevin,

Boxwood is the timber of choice for this. Our car needs replacing, So I'm not doing as much as I would like, but i'll be back in the shed soon.
The boxwood is wonderful to work, it's just a brilliant timber, holds a keen edge and smells great.

all the best

Jamie